Thursday, 27 September 2007

carry on camping!!


Ok I know I've not posted for a long time but I've been really busy.


i'm not sure I'll have time for all this blogging now because I've just gone back to university to start an Msc. I have been trawling through the internet today looking for interesting stuff to write dissertations and projects about and now I feel the need to stop for a bit and do something fun.


So we could all do with a laugh so why don't I tell you about my wonderful camping holiday!


I have to admit that I was warned by lots of people that life under canvas in Great Britain wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs. That was putting it mildly! I think that the gorgeous Husband and I must have chosen possibly the wettest week of the holidays to go camping. It was the week that everybody in Gloucestershire got waterlogged. We had narrowly missed being stranded on the M5 and managed to reach our destination (Newquay) on a beautiful sunny day in July. We pitched our lovely 8 man tent and then helped our campsite mates pitch theirs. We woke up to drizzle, downpours and gales. We also found out that our lovely 8 man tent (brand new) was leaking. The weekend passed with alternate days of rain and sunshine and I thought Oh well it could be worse. It got worse.


We travelled to our next camp site, just us and the daughter now as everyone else had dry homes to go to! We pitched up on a lovely but breezy day. The next morning it was chucking down and the tent was still leaking. We went to a local Cornish theme park and got absolutely soaked, just for a change. I had Harry Potter to keep me from complaining too much and so my lovely Husband had some peace! I finished Harry Potter and looked to the skies for some improvement. There wasn't any. We had a good day on the beach, followed by an atrocious one at the Eden project (not for bored kids) the tent blew in, knocked over the cooker unit, snagged on it and ripped. The next day we awoke to a collapsed porch and both zips undone with the gale blowing right through the tent.


At this point I'd had enough and so whilst packing up made sure that a pole broke so we couldn't carry on!!


Actually it nearly took my head off.


We ended up drying out at the Brother in law's house and the weather improved. We bought another tent? (we got a refund for the first)


He wants to try again next year? I think we must be mad.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Hooray, good to see you back. Good luck on the MSc!!

Nina said...

Look at me, I finally checked back in with you! Let's see...almost 3 months after you posted, ha-ha.

What an adventure! Sounds miserable, by the way. You needed a holiday from your holiday. :)

Good luck with the MSc. Hope you have a chance now and then to let us know how you're doing.