Monday, 26 March 2007

lost property

Went to visit my sister this evening for my nephew's birthday, I know he had a party on Saturday but this is his actual birthday. Had cake which was a really cool spiderman one and helped him open his present (power rangers stuff) I was telling her all about my blog and she was a bit worried I might write some stuff about her, oops already done that!!!
So I then thought about all the other things I have yet to tell the blog world about my family {as the name suggests we really are madcap) So here's some stuff about my lovely hubby!
My man has a habit of losing things,keys,wallet,his mind (but he is married to me so we'll forgive him that last one!)This habit of his is so infuriating and the one thing about him that drives me absolutely demented. I know that things can be replaced and that insurance is there for a reason but its his complete lack of concern for the location of the missing item that is so annoying.
A little while ago, before we moved house he came home from the pub to announce he couldn't find his mobile phone.His problem I hear you say, well no not really as it was a contract phone and a smart one at that which was also not insured. I phoned the company the next day to cease airtime provision and enquired as to replacement Sim cards. That evening I was looking for a coat in the hall cupboard only to find said phone in the pocket of one of his many coats. He hadn't even had it in the pub and yet swore blind that was the last time he saw the damn thing!
Not really that eventful, as we were able to switch it back on the next day and a sigh of relief was gasped. Imagine my dismay when a couple of weeks later he came in to announce that he'd just dropped the very same phone down the drain right outside our house.The conversation with the mobile phone company went like this, "are you sure nobody can use the phone for their own purposes?" my reply: "if anyone can get the damn thing out of the drain and working again then they're welcome to it"

Shortly after we moved in to our first house together I came home from work to find a smashed window pane near the door and blood. Now I had just got out of a very bad relationship with a complete psycho and my initial thought was that he'd tracked me down. I got into the house to find my future husband watching telly with a bloodstained tea towel wrapped around his hand.He had gone out to take the dog for a walk (not ours, his parents)and had pulled the door to (Yale type lock) and locked himself out with no money and no mobile phone just a very tired old dog) Rather than phone my mother, reverse charge, from a call box he decided the best course of action was to break in!
I have wound him up about this story for such a long time but today I will have to put it to bed. At the weekend we changed the locks in the new house because the old Yale lock was so secure you couldn't even get in with the right key and the Mortice lock had eaten most of my key and no longer worked.This morning I went to put the wheelie bin out and calmly closed the door secure in the knowledge that as I hadn't locked it I was OK. I forgot we now had an operational Yale lock which obviously locked as I shut the door. I had just locked the back door prior to leaving through the front door. Luckily for me my daughter is incredibly sweet and bright and when I was able to distract her from her Backyardigans programme by banging loudly on the window she came over and passed me my keys through the letterbox. Oh the shame, I had to tell him because if I don't she will!

1 comment:

Nina said...

I can't resist commenting on this one. I like your writing, Bex. BTW, found you through Donna's blog. :)

The man losing things is so familiar in our house! Our phone story is that he dropped the phone out of his pocket and ran it over with the car. Couldn't see anything on the screen, which was cracked and showing a big splat. Fortunately it was an old and a cheapie pay-as-you-go type phone. So he had to use it by punching out the entire phone number, and pay attention while he did it, until the time ran out on it.

Don't even get me started about the keys!